Air Travel in the Time of COVID

Newark Liberty International Airport

Thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic, nearly all my travel in 2020 was both domestic and within a 4-5 hour drive. As someone with perpetual wanderlust, this isn't a statement I thought I would ever make in my lifetime, but due to global COVID travel restrictions, international travel was either impossible or very difficult. Though, I am grateful that this allowed me to both get to know some resorts in my own backyard and plan some getaways I may not normally have experienced.

In early January 2021 I boarded an airplane for the first time since March 2020. No flights in nearly a year? Unthinkable. And even though it was just for a short United Airlines flight from New Jersey to Florida, it was refreshing. So, in order to ease concerns and any confusion, I wanted to share my experience with COVID safety protocols and changes to security, check-in, and boarding (some of which were long overdue!). I should note that your experience may vary by airport, airline, and destination, but regardless, my recent foray back into the world of air travel assauged any fears I may have had. 

When I arrived at Newark Liberty International Airport, I found that the airport experience is quiet, with short security lines. Generally, the security process is the same minus social distancing markers. The major difference being that you're asked to pull your mask down quickly to show your face to TSA when they’re checking ID. 

Although there were no seats blocked off at the gates, I found that everyone was respecting distance. Restaurants within the terminals are open but have seats blocked off so everyone can comfortably distance. The boarding process still allows for pre-boarding for those who need it but otherwise the plane boards from back to front, a very welcome change! This resulted in the fastest and most efficient boarding I’ve experienced in a long time. 

On the flight, masks are strictly enforced except when actively eating and drinking. Everry passenger is given sanitizing wipes and overall the plane felt extremely clean. To me, flying feels safe. And at the very least, it’s certainly not the part of travel to be concerned about. I think the airlines are doing a great job and what I saw was compliant passengers. 



If you had been on the fence about booking that flight, I hope this put you at ease. I'm here to answer any questions you might have and if you'd like to get an even better look at my recent airport experience, you can find it on my Instagram profile: http://instagram.com/jetsetjess1


Ready to book that long overdue vacation or just interested in more info on my recent experience? Reach out to me at 908-230-2327 or at jessica@ellitravel.com and learn just how safe air travel is and just how easy (and affordable) it is to work with me! 

Jet Set Jess: Same Rates, More Benefits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unearthing Egypt and Jordan

The Mighty Five

¡Viva México!