Guest Blog: Dev Kaneria

Dev at the Colosseum in Rome
I'm excited to introduce a new feature on "Jet Set Jess". Each month we will be profiling a new guest blogger; either a friend, colleague, or in this case a friend of a friend who shares the same love for travel, exploring new places and new experiences just as much as myself and all of you.

This month I'd like to introduce Dev Kaneria, a logistics agent, former teacher, and part-time counselor with Rein Teen Tours, which provides travel opportunities for teens that would like to do service projects both domestically and internationally.

Name: Dev Kaneria
Age: 32
Current Location: Philadelphia, PA
Occupation: Logistics Agent, Part Time Summer Counselor

As a teacher, Dev had the luxury of relatively unoccupied summers and has luckily been able to continue his travels post-teacherdom as his current field also tends to be slow during the summers. In addition, his role with Rein Teen Tours has allowed him to travel the globe while wrangling / providing supervision to crews of hyperactive, but globally conscious teens. I got a chance to chat with Dev briefly to get a better understanding of what he loves about exploring new destinations.

Dev climbing Salkanray in the Peruvian Andes

Jet Set Jess (JSJ): How many countries have you visited?
Dev Kaneria (DK): At this point I'd guess around 20?

JSJ: What country do you consider a home away from home?
DK: It's hard to say that a single place feels like a second home to me because I've so rarely visited the same country more than once or twice. That being said, I actually have loads of family in India and that's the one place that I've been back to many, many times. So.... India. That being said, it's very hard to not mention anything in the Himalayas, particularly Mount Abu (for both accessibility but also raw beauty and nostalgia for me). The Gir Lion sanctuary is pretty amazing, too. Plus, the 10,000 steps of Gir (actually only 9,999 but you can just take one step twice) are only a few hours away.

JSJ: What country is your absolute favorite to spend time in?
DK: I'll say Costa Rica because I always fantasize about retiring there someday.

JSJ: What is something you always pack when you travel?
DK: It sounds kinda silly, but I never go on any excursion without my trusty ol' maroon Eddie Bauer raincoat. This might stem from absolute functionality and pragmatism, however there's a strong possibility that this has a lot to do with sentiment as well. I've traveled to many far-out places and I've always had that raincoat with me. Other things items have come and gone (boots, hats, gloves, packs, headphones, trekking poles, etc.) but that raincoat has been on just about every single adventure with me and has never failed me (except that the hood kinda falls over my eyes a little bit if I'm not wearing a baseball cap underneath it).

JSJ: And what would be a bucket list trip for you?
DK: Patagonia. There's something about going as far as a person can travel in a certain direction that's quite appealing. The journey to Patagonia is also pretty unique; there are only a handful of landed paths to Patagonia and those are mostly through Chile which itself is a really unique place because of the sheer number of climates that you [have to] travel through to just get to Patagonia, which, oh just happens to be one of the most untouched and inaccessible bits of land in the world.

Dev at Santiago Bernabéu Stadium in Madrid

I just want to thank Dev for taking the time to answer our questions with such detail and give a little insight into his passion for global travel. This is just the first in a series of guest blogs that I will have the pleasure of sharing with you. Please reach out if you would be interested in contributing as well!

And whether it's Patagonia, the Himalayas, or Costa Rica. I can help get you there. Contact me today at jessica@ellitravel.com or at (917) 261-4634 to learn just how easy (and affordable) it is to work with me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unearthing Egypt and Jordan

The Mighty Five

¡Viva México!